24.12.15

A rare work post

"Adam works at a speed that is faster than most; this can sometimes cause communication problems" - A student

That student was completely correct. I work faster than most people, and that means that I consult fewer times than most, on big projects.

We are besieged, in my office, by a counter-productive culture that has insisted on multiple rounds of consultation:
1: Here's a thing, what do you think?
2: Here's the thing Version 2, now what do you think?
3: The thing is ready to be done, but before I actually DO it, what do you think?
4: The thing is ready to be done, should I ask anyone else what they think?
5: I didn't do the thing because anyone else didn't get back to me.

My view is this:
1: Here's the thing, what is it missing?
2: I did the thing.

Because of previous history, most folk don't really engage in constructive criticism until Step 3... and you can see how well that works in my new approach.

So here's this:


No comments: