15.6.09

Summer in the tropics

The rain has stopped, and the sun has transformed this little ocean corner into the kind of seascape that graces postcards and tourist brochures.

I continue to live on my little raft, in fact have pulled it out some distance from the islands around me to ensure that I am not mistaken for a native islander.

Not that this helps of course. Given that I work, in exchange for basic provisions, on one primary island it is no mystery that people consider me to be a resident there.

The people of that island have seen this I think, and have made an effort to assure me that my comings and goings are not monitored, and that taxes, papers, etc. are not required of me. Their effort is somewhat undermined by their habit of monitoring my comings and goings and asking for my papers.

Ah well. It is too nice, under the sky out here, to complain about that too much.

No comments: