As I was tending to the Glade last evening, I was suddenly surrounded by canoes from the island where I have been spending most of my time ashore.
I was startled by the horns, the trumpets... It must have been an odd spectacle, a man in rags on a raft tending to a tree, with the sun resting on the horizon surrounded in broad sea by colourful canoes full of brightly dressed islanders offering fruit and inviting him to join the celebration.
I tried my best to demonstrate that I please to see them, attempting to balance my gardening tools in one hand and accept enough fruit pieces to be grateful but not so many as to indicate I wanted them to stay and have an island party right there. Perhaps I could have done more, lashed my raft onto their canoes and relaxed. Maybe I should have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment