I was helping prepare a fishing fleet for the spring harvest when I noticed a small group on the dock, watching me work. I recognized them as rebel from the Island. Wishing to be courteous, and knowing I was in no danger, I climbed to the dock to meet with them.
There was something wrong, perhaps they were inebriated, perhaps they were high.. I don't know. Possibly starving, or driven mad by some disease?
In any case, they began to scream at me and throw things at me!
"Thief, liar", they shouted, "how dare you steal from us! You eat meals while our islanders who you promised to feed go hungry! You live on a wonderful raft made by your own hands while our islanders live in squalid huts! When we banished you you promised to return with diamonds and riches to make our island bountiful and to repay what you owed us for years of providing you food and shelter!"
I reached into my pockets, to find what I could to give them in their state
They turned away from me at that, and walked away, shouting back
"You tend the Glade, you are one of us! We ask for nothing! Remember the promises you have made"
I wonder at their purpose...
23.4.09
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment