1.4.08

The Newcomer changes his mind

The Newcomer had a meeting with the bank on the island last night, and a friend, who works there, filled me in.

The Newcomer, worried about his mainland problems, has chosen not to move to the Island. He will continue to visit, but seeks only to stay in beachside hotels while he is here.

As I write those words I grow very angry.

I have moved here, given up all mainland aspirations, moved off the beach and into the inland areas. I no longer am greeted by the sun every morning when I rise, as he is. I am no longer bathed by the night winds while I sleep as he is.

Now, be it true, he does return to the mainland often, and there he can only see the island through his telescope, while I am surrounded always by its beauty.

Living inland is no great hurdle. I can walk when I like (during public hours) to the beach-head or the marina and fish... I can go to the glade every day if I choose and rest there.

But I envy him for the superficial beauty he gets to experience. He pays no taxes, he never shovels mud from the streets after a big rain, he never feels the frost of the wind as it howls down from the mountains. If he does, he can return to the mainland at his whim, returning to the island when the weather is better.

I call him weak, and I call him coward

1 comment:

Stealthy Dachshund said...
This comment has been removed by the author.