Last night, the end of a good week on the island, the Bwana came to me.
I anticipated good news. I had held my temper, I had been warm and welcoming to the Newcomer and I had tended well to the Glade.
"Stealthy One", said the Bwana, "How are you?"
I said I was well, and pleased and satisfied.
No sooner were the words out of my mouth than all hell broke loose.
The Bwana berated me for my demands on their time and the fact that I had asked for islander pricing in the market (a place where I have seen the Newcomer given food)
He said I had ruined the Temple, sullied for everyone and that I refused to give the Newcomer enough room to live
I was forced to detail all the possible scenarios for my future, and any scenario that included me leaving the island was instantly thrown back at me as proof that I wished toi govern the island!
I have no desire to govern this island; I wish to be a resident here, no more than that.
When the Bwana denied that desire, swore that I would never be an islander, I stormed to the docks looking for a boat to hire... Luckily there was none
I stormed back to the village to find a fisherman to take me to the mainland and found some islander arguing with the Bwana.
The Bwana was slightly shocked that I would seek to leave, and I could not describe why i could not stay on the island if I were not treated as an equal islander to placate him
As I thought about it I could not explain, but I knew it to be true: if I did not live on the island as an islander I had to return to the mainland.
The villagers present talked me into staying for the night and an uneasy calm fell
In the morning as I hunted for game, the Bwana came to me and said,
"I am startled that you would try to paddle away in the dark like that. Please stay on the island. We need you for more than the glade's maintenance, you do bring value to our island... But do not argue with us again about the Newcomer.
I was silent, as I wished to hunt successfully, but nodded my assent.
Tonight I am on the ferry away from the island, we shall see what I find on my return.
28.3.08
Up and Down
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment