An historical document washed ashore in a bottle:
Friday, September 24, 2004
Mainlanders and The Island
I suppose it behooves me to explain about Mainlanders (as I used to be one). Mainlanders see the island as a true Shangri-La. They have exactly the same impressions of it as I did when I first visitted two and a half years ago. It's not that the island has a good Tourist Bureau; in fact, locals from the island are noticeably reticent about their paradise home. The Bwana is quick to pick up on any attempt to over-promote tourism here, and he seems to be suspicious of any one who tries to encourage visitation by Mainlanders. Of course, once the Mainlanders come, they are welcomed. Some Mainlanders explore only the most obvious charms on the island while others are able, by charming the locals, to get very in-depth tours of the place. Since I have been here none that I know of have been to the Glade. I don't mind Mainlanders myself, except that some of the vistas here are very small, and even a couple of people there make it so that I cannot visit my favourite places. In fact, it seems the locals welcome tourists more to the vistas than they welcome me, which seems unfair, because I live here. I do contribute to The island in a permanent way.
Thursday, September 23, 2004
More about The Island
After I moved to the island, I spent an idyllic year exploring every chasm and cliff, every valley and peak, and every scenic spot. I found the best spot on the entire island. I had to gain the trust of the local populace to see it, but I had heard of its existence long before. It was place I have come to call the Glade. It is the best place on the island, and fiercely guarded from all but the most trusted tourists, of which I was considered one. I had thought I would be considered a resident right away, but obviously in the locals' eyes I was still a tourist until I had proved myself. In the Glade it is possible to see every scenic vista of the island. I don't mean that from the Glade you can see everything; rather that in the Glade itself exist all the best places of the island. It is almost a replica of the island in miniature. Tourists have of course from time to time left their mark, but because of the protection of the locals, their impact has been almost entirely positive. As I grew used to the island, I would come to rely on the Glade as a refuge.
Introduction to my island
I should explain: In January 2002 I went on a prolonged vacation to a beautiful island. I cannot reveal its location, so I will refer to it only as 'The Island". To say that I was stunned is to understate the case. Picture the greenest trees, the tallest mountains, the bluest ocean, the warmest breezes, the softest rains, the best food and drink and the friendliest people. You have pictured a boring, underfed and cheap facsimile of the island. The island was perfect. Every day on the island made me happier than the day before. I made a decision: I would move to the island permanently Upon my return to the mainland, I sold my adequate house and made steps to transfer to the island. I sold my winter clothes, I sold my mainland furniture, and I purchased books with titles like 'How to live on The Island" and "Happy Island Living". In September 2002 I moved to the island.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment