25.2.08

Damn islanders

Somedays this island drives me nuts!

What's going on this week:
Well, another island nearby is threatened by an imminent volcanic eruption, so Bwana is preparing to move four FOUR new glades to this island.

Here's the problems
1) I don't have time to be chief forester of four more glades. And while the natives love the glade, I find I do about half the work here, so I must now prepare for four times as much work. Plus the new glades would have to be acclimatized to our soil, which will be more work.
2) We already have an agreement with another island to build a bridge and I would become chief forester of a glade there as well. We've in fact already had the first bridge-planning meeting
3) The volcanic eruption is preventable. This is what really kills me. The people who are running around making plans for how to move their glades could prevent the whole catastrophe. Personally I think this is just their excuse to abandon their island, which is not ideally situated.

Bwana has spoken with the tribe and they have decided we will not be shoring up the western cliffs this summer as we had planned. Instead we will be spending the summer raking the beaches so they look pretty for tourists.

oh yes and,

There's another damn mainlander in the guest-house. He seems nice enough but now Bwana spends all his time meeting with him.

(and of course still expects me to participate in all the rituals...)

No comments: