9.11.14

So I do the church thing... I have since I was a wee lad, and my role has grown from child to sulking teenager to leader (God help me)

The church I attend is old, very old... and Latin is common, the choir wear robes and don't sway or wave their arms, and the readings are done from behind a brass eagle that probably weighs 200 pounds.

So it's a bit traditional.

It is also going through a bit of a transition, to catch up with the last 20 years of social justice teachings, and to be more welcoming and more open.

Last night we got a bit of a taste of how far we have to go.

1) We got a complaint about a Lady Gaga tribute act; possibly the most inclusive show we've ever hosted in our performance spaces, possibly over costumes that are nearly as racy as the ones we wore in our Sanctuary show last year, and possibly over choreography that was as tame as a waltz, from people who had not seen the show, AT THE SAME TIME
2) One of our junior priest-lets posted an article about how we have to help gay people understand the choice between heterosexuality and celibacy 'cause that's the choice that Jesus told us they have to make.

Both these things are bullshit,

It was like 1950s America called up and was all like "Hey, remember me?"

I did, and the Project Manager did, have a long consideration of what our Sunday mornings would be like if we suddenly freed up about 2 hours on an ongoing basis

Plus the Unitarians are closer to our house.

1 comment:

Cori said...

Unitarians are awesom.e