5.8.12

Puzzle pieces

I have been pondering why it is that the couples we know without energy, without pizzazz, seem to last not as long as the ones who are deeply weird. I have a good pair of friends who are eccentric, actors, home reno-ers, ambitious, brash and professional. They live in a little house with lots of personality, and they have parties like no one else I know. We have several friend couples who are... generic. Big house, SUV, work in the day, TV at night, vacation in Hawaii once a year. Sometimes they own a dog. They never do anything fun. Here's the differences as I see them: 1) There is no doubt that the odd couples I know LIVE in the places they live. If they were not there, everyone would notice. The world would be substantially different. 2) The generic couples could disappear in a moment and be replaced by other identical couples, and no one would know. 3) Either partner could disappear from the relationship and be replaced by another clone; a man in shiny shorts with flip flops and a ball-cap, or a Jennifer-Aniston-haired woman with an expensive travel mug and a subscription to Slice TV. 4) Generic couples have no projects in common; maybe sometimes the dog. Why is this on my mind today? Because today I saw the WEIRDEST couple I know. She is a totally strange person, the weirdest I know, and her husband is the DARNDEST fellow. And they are awesome. 100% genuinely each other in each others company. So here's the metaphor: People are like puzzle-pieces, and the more odd corners and weird colours you have, the stronger you fit when you find the right other piece.

No comments: