In which small children from a perfectly mundane world experience a magical fantastic story that may or may not be real as well.
Criteria: Subject must be a young child who is perfectly normal, from a perfectly normal world. Emphasis that the world is boring, adult, and inaccessible to the subject. Child experiences the fantastic world via a guide. The fantastic world is a reflection of the real world, though not purely metaphorical as the cross-overs/interactions are real, (though always indirect or ephemeral) and happen independently of any action of the subject.
Fits the bill
Alice in Wonderland (though I'm not sure of this)
Wizard of Oz
Pan's Labyrinth
The Fall
Time Bandits
Calvin and Hobbes
Does not fit the bill
Baron Munchausen (because the real world in that story is absurd in its own right)
Harry Potter (as above; wizards are real in the real world)
Princess Bride (the subject has no impact on the fantasy world)
Contentious
Narnia (because the effects of the cross-over are not indirect)
24.5.11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
and what about "Puck of Pook's Hill"? very interesting classification you have here; say more.
I just realized it's one of my favorite genres. Also, I think Wizard of Oz doesn't fit, despite what I said. (No guide, and only in the movie is there crossover with the real world)
There is a chance, if one is an adult in the film, that one could say the story-world does not exist. However the audience is given enough information to know that the other world is absolutely real.
I will have to check on Pook, and let you know more
Post a Comment