18.4.11

Pod Living

I have been watching SWDNYHABN and I have noticed that she lives kind of like... Google Docs.

You can never be quite sure where anything really IS when you go looking for it, but she maintains a kind of mental inventory of where everything is at any given moment.

She:  Grab my earrings, please.
Me:  (Consults earrings storage place) Where are they?
She:  In the soap dish in the bathroom.
Me:  Of course they are.

This system works as well as mine does, no question, but it go tme thinking about my system of storage and maintenance.

I maintain a series of 'pods' around me at all times. In order of usage throughout the day, they are:

  • My office,
  • My jacket,
  • My knapsack,
  • The port side of the bed,
  • The right-hand bathroom drawer,
  • The kitchen counter,
  • Two shelves in the closet, and
  • The laundry hamper.

I know what is in each pod at any given time, and can instruct people to find or place things into the correct pod as necessary. Once inside the pod, all order vanishes and it's more or less chaos with some minor nods to comfort or function.

Some pods are 'bus' pods, that serve purposes to transition from pod to pod, and others are purely storage.

Why does all this matter? I think it's because when a pod fills up, I simply move on to another pod, leaving the old one full. Maybe if I said 'ok. this is what this pod holds and that's it' I might be more on top of matters... like my mail.

No comments: