I have fled from the island, and am making my way slowly back to the mainland.
Initially, though I planned to take some survivors with me, that has proved to be impossible. When I asked some of the sympathetic locals to return with me, they seemed interested at first, but then when the departure date we had chosen grew closer, their enthusiasm waned, and they seemed less interested.
I think they may have feared fleeing the island, and abandoning their fellow islanders, even the ones that I feel are the causes of the civil war. I suppose I cannot expect them to abandon their friends, families and co-workers so suddenly, given that the words spread against me must have been circulated by them.
This is the first time since I have fled the island that I have had time to sit and write, but I have some notes hastily scribbled on my boarding pass and on a copy of my ferry receipt.
More astute readers will be wondering what has happened with the glade, and I confess I do not know... I will attempt to prepare a place for it, and hope to transplant it, or cuttings from it, in the future.
19.5.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment