So I have had a long talk with the Bwana about this mainlander whose arrival resulted in the cancellation of the ferry.
"Effendi", he said, "Maybe this mainlander will come and live on our island as well, so we think he has many talents that you do not, and will bring peace and prosperity"
My first thought of course was that I'd give him peace and propserity right up-side the head if he messed with the island but then...
... I began in fact to feel quite calm about the idea. I don't know why, as I have every reason to dislike this. This Mainlander takes a lot of the Bwana's time in consultation and meetings, he has disrupted ferry service, he is bright enough to do all the jobs I do with mastery, I suspect... but still I feel calmer.
Is this related to the fact that the ferry did in fact operate, and I toured a lovely island on the weekend where I was well received, soothing my tired soul?
Is it related to the fact that the Bwana has also said that this Mainlander is much like myself?
Is it because the Glade has flourished lately and shows great promise?
Is it because I hear rumours that the Government may force him to move to another island in time, and that his stay here is temporary?
Is it because the islanders, and the Bwana, see me as one of them, and it behooves me to be as excited as them about this arrival and the benefits he brings?
Why do I not fear this Mainlander? He may throw me out of my house, and drive me into the surf to drown. He may find better ways to tend the Glade and leave me unable to assist in its growth.
Do I dare to go to the Bwana and say "He must be bringing benefit, so let us make him one of us?"
Do I dare to say to them "I am no longer a mainlander, I am an islander, and seek what the others seek" and dare to bow to the will of the Bwana? Would I lose myself?
Do I dare show that much trust in the islanders? Will I be pushed in to the sea?
10.3.08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment