25.3.08

Island living, continued.

The Bwana and I fought again on Sunday over the Newcomer, and my role.

"How long to expect to live in your house on this island?" he asked.

"All my life! I would not have moved here if I did not intend to stay my whole life."

"Why do you persist in doing the work that you do, and in trying to improve this island life?"

"Because I feel it is my duty"

That was a real watershed for me. I've given up the easy conveniences of mainland life for island life, and I have worked /most/ days as hard as I can to improve this island. If I am thrown off the island I will go proudly, knowing this to be true.

I'll be honest, I have not worked every day, and I have worked hardest when the Bwana is angry with me, as if to prove to him that I am worthy of praise. But I have worked a lot.

I think, looking back, that the islanders worked as hard as I did on these projects... the new quay, the shops... but they seemed to grow bored with them earlier than I did. The typical islander seems to bore quickly.

Anyway, after much arguing and fighting, so much that the island police came to see if everything was alright, the Bwana laid down the law.

"If you remain here, you will remain here as an equal with the Newcomer. We will construct a new house for him on the island where he may stay when he visits. We expect you to create a house for yourself on the mainland or on another island. That is all... begone!"

... then he invited me to Temple. But I forewent the privilege, as I believe he invited me only out of guilt at my grief over their rejection of me.

No comments: